RE: Mathematica References for Efficient Programming?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19121] RE: [mg19103] Mathematica References for Efficient Programming?
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 23:58:31 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

lhdill at  wrote:
I'm a Ph.D. chemical engineer who would like to both program efficiently in
Mathematica as well as write efficient programs for scientific and
applications.  I am completely self-taught when it comes to programming, and
could benefit from books that describe general programming principles
concerning, e.g., error control and debugging, as well as books specifically
about  Mathematica.

I have the book "Mathematica for Scientists and Engineers" by Bahder, which
good but a little dated now since it was written for version 2.2.  At I read a review by a person with a M.S. in Computer Science who
highly recommended Gray's book "Mastering Mathematica:  Programming Methods

Do the folks in this discussion group have high recommendations for
that would be useful for me?

BTW, I would like to be good enough to start a little consulting business
Mathematica.  Are there any consultants out there who would be willing to
how they got started and where in industry they find the greatest needs.

I have a notebook (300 kB after deleting graphics) where I give all the neat
Mathematica  tips and tricks I came up with over the past few years.  If
anyone wants a copy I can email it to you.  Some day I will get around to
putting it on a web page.

Allan Hayes gives expert advise on efficient programming in The Mathematica
Journal.  See:
 Select Publications > Periodical > TheMathematicaJournal >
   The Mathematica Journal Vol, 2 No 2 --Electronic Supplement

For more of the same select
  The Mathematica Journal Vol, 5 No 5 --Electronic Supplement

You might also check:

However, I think most of what you will find there is intro level.  I think
some of the stuff is in postscript files.  If you have trouble reading them

I think I give good tutorials on how I did
some interesting (and useful)  programming at:

With Mathsource you can't beat the price!

An excellent book for making you into a Mathematica power user is "Power
Programming In Mathematica the Kernel", by David B. Wagner.  He talks a lot
about efficient programming in Mathematica.

I assume you already have "The Mathematica Book".  It's a must have item.

At Conference 98, Dave Withoff (of Wolfram Research)
gave a talk on Debugging and Optimizing Mathematica programs.

At the same conference, John Novak (of Wolfram Research)
gave a talk on Programming the V3.0 Front End.

There were other talks given that you might be interested in.
I think the material from that conference is
available from the Wolfram Research web page,
but I don't have the URL.
Ted Ersek