Mathematica References for Efficient Programming?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19103] Mathematica References for Efficient Programming?
  • From: lhdill at (LHDill)
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 01:35:19 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I'm a Ph.D. chemical engineer who would like to both program efficiently in
Mathematica as well as write efficient programs for scientific and engineering
applications.  I am completely self-taught when it comes to programming, and
could benefit from books that describe general programming principles
concerning, e.g., error control and debugging, as well as books specifically
about  Mathematica.

I have the book "Mathematica for Scientists and Engineers" by Bahder, which is
good but a little dated now since it was written for version 2.2.  At I read a review by a person with a M.S. in Computer Science who
highly recommended Gray's book "Mastering Mathematica:  Programming Methods and

Do the folks in this discussion group have high recommendations for references
that would be useful for me?

BTW, I would like to be good enough to start a little consulting business using
Mathematica.  Are there any consultants out there who would be willing to share
how they got started and where in industry they find the greatest needs.