Mathematica References for Efficient Programming?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19103] Mathematica References for Efficient Programming?
  • From: lhdill at aol.com (LHDill)
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 01:35:19 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm a Ph.D. chemical engineer who would like to both program efficiently in
Mathematica as well as write efficient programs for scientific and engineering
applications.  I am completely self-taught when it comes to programming, and
could benefit from books that describe general programming principles
concerning, e.g., error control and debugging, as well as books specifically
about  Mathematica.

I have the book "Mathematica for Scientists and Engineers" by Bahder, which is
good but a little dated now since it was written for version 2.2.  At
Amazon.com I read a review by a person with a M.S. in Computer Science who
highly recommended Gray's book "Mastering Mathematica:  Programming Methods and
Applications".

Do the folks in this discussion group have high recommendations for references
that would be useful for me?

BTW, I would like to be good enough to start a little consulting business using
Mathematica.  Are there any consultants out there who would be willing to share
how they got started and where in industry they find the greatest needs.
lhdill