Re: Re: Re: equaltity of lists

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19175] Re: [mg19147] Re: [mg19092] Re: [mg19036] equaltity of lists
  • From: Maarten.vanderBurgt at icos.be
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 02:52:40 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Kevin,

Maybe I do not understand your remark completely. But when I do this on my
PC  (Mathematica 4.0) I get

In[1] := Signature[{a, b, c, d}]
Out[1] = 1

In[2] := Signature[{a, b, d, c}]
Out[2] = -1

Which is completely in line with the definition of Signature.
Canonical order has nothing to do with sameness or equality.

Maarten

"Kevin J. McCann" <kevinmccann at Home.com> on 06-08-99 05:58:49 AM

Maarten

Agree with you, but then why do you get

Signature[{a,b,c,d}]
True

Signature[{a,b,d,c}]
False

By the same logic this should not return an answer.

Kevin