Re: Automatic Display in MatrixForm

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19294] Re: Automatic Display in MatrixForm
  • From: Colin Rose <colin at>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:34:48 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Ted Ersek wrote:

> Dave Withoff's recommended solution is given below, and I know
> of no problems with it.

    (Function[t, MatrixQ[Unevaluated[t]]&&(t=!={{}}),HoldAll]),
       Map[Function[t, MakeBoxes[t, StandardForm], HoldAll],

Delicious. This even works for TableForm[m]. Now, suppose I
included the above code in a package, and thus changed
Mathematica's default behaviour for all matrix output in StandardForm.

Being a good citizen, I realise that some people may not like it,
so I want to offer a way to switch it off ... In this regard,

works nicely, but is it too general ?
Or is there a more specific way to switch the above off,
without altering other MakeBoxes[] code that may have
been introduced elsewhere by the user ??

Colin Rose
tr(I)    -  Theoretical Research Institute
colin at