Re: ungrouping cells

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19288] Re: ungrouping cells
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 01:45:13 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Steven Charbonneau wrote:

> If I begin typing a section in text, and wish to end that cell and start a
> new cell with a style of input, what is the best way to do this?

If you are at the end of the line, hit the right arrow key. This will move
to a new cell -- and the default new cell is an input cell.

> I am currently using the technique of "ungroup cells" from the cells menu,
> but I wish an easier way to do this. Why do input cells typed after a text
> cell automatically append themselves? When I turn of the "automatic
> grouping" in the menu, it affects cells in my notebook I want unaltered.

It is a bit hard to explain, but once you get used to it, automatic grouping
excellent. Logically, the input cell should be related to the text preceding
so the group makes sense.  The real advantage of automatic grouping comes
into play when you include cells such as Title, Section, Subsection, etc.

The University of Western Australia
Nedlands WA  6907                     mailto:paul at

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player