NDSolve Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19370] NDSolve Question
  • From: Don Paddleford <don-paddleford at worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 23:09:43 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Using NDSolve to solve differential equations I have run across many
problems where I would like to initiate (or terminate) some action based
on the dependent variable reaching a setvalue. Examples are:

1) Trying to maintain level between desired upper and lower limits in a
vessel that has a leak by turning the pump on and off.

2) A closed system with internal gas generation that will buildup to the
rupture pressure of a rupture disk, at which time a gas blowdown would
begin.

3) Initiate a shutdown when the temperature or temperature gets too
high, etc.

The brute force way of running the problem first without any actions,and
noting the time (or whatever the independent variable is) when the
dependent variable first reaches the point where action is desired, then
rerunning the problem with the action initiating at that time (perhaps
by using an If test based on the noted time, or some function based on
time), is what I usually end up having to do. It works, but is tedious.

I'd like to be able to just have a test on the dependent variable, so
that it having reached a predetermined value, I could initiate a pump
trip, or start a gas blowdown, etc. Have a hunch the answer may be
simple---but I seem to have a mental block on how to do this with
Mathematica's NDSolve. Any help would be appreciated.

Don