I can't believe it ...

The + and * operators are overloaded (UpValues) for some structure
(elements of finite field).
My NormalQ routine uses the Det (System) on a square matrix of such
elements, and EVERYTHING WORKS fine.

BUT, as soon as I try to insert NormalQ into a package:

BeginPackage["FiniteField`"];

NormalQ::usage=
  "NormalQ[a_?FFelemQ] calls Det ...";

Begin["`Private`"]
NormalQ[a_]:=

(* reach this point *)
m=Det[m];
(* never there *)

End[];

EndPackage[];

The computation of Det gets endless ...
( Of course there is no shadowing of Det ... )

Could somebody explain me what is wrong ?

Antoine Zahnd.