Re: ContourShading with ListContourPlot

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19387] Re: ContourShading with ListContourPlot
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:57:07 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Laurence Lours <lours at> wrote in message
news:7pl6qn$cfs at
> Hello mathgroup,
> I want to do contour plots of a list of (x,y,z) points. I found
ListContourPlot from ExtendGraphics`Contour` package, but I would like to
have a colored graph.
> ContourShading->True does not work. Has anyone an idea?
> Thanks
> Laurence Lours
> lours at

You  need to use the option ColorFunction.
For example, with the built in ListContourPlot

ListContourPlot[Table[x^2 + y^2, {x, -2, 2, .1}, {y, -2, 2, .1}],
  ColorFunction -> (Hue[2/3#] &),
  MeshRange -> {{-2, 2}, {-2, 2}}]

In Verrsion 3.x the inputs to the color function were scaled to make so that
the minof the z-plot range became 0  and  the max of the z-plot range became
With Version 4.0 we can  use the option ColorFunctionScaling ->False to stop
this scaling. This makes setting the colors easier.

Allan Hayes
Mathematica Training and Consulting
Leicester UK
hay at