Re: ContourShading with ListContourPlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19437] Re: ContourShading with ListContourPlot
  • From: Laurence Lours <lours at bruyeres.cea.fr>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 01:25:10 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> To: "Laurence Lours" <lours at bruyeres.cea.fr>
> Subject: [mg19437] Re: ContourShading with ListContourPlot
> Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 14:43:30 +0100
>

> Laurence Lours <lours at bruyeres.cea.fr> wrote in message
> news:7pl6qn$cfs at smc.vnet.net...
> >

> > Hello mathgroup,
> >
> > I want to do contour plots of a list of (x,y,z) points. I found
> ListContourPlot from ExtendGraphics`Contour` package, but I would like to
> have a colored graph.
> > ContourShading->True does not work. Has anyone an idea?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Laurence Lours
> > lours at bruyeres.cea.fr
> >

> Laurence,
>
> You  need to use the option ColorFunction.
> For example, with the built in ListContourPlot
>
> ListContourPlot[Table[x^2 + y^2, {x, -2, 2, .1}, {y, -2, 2, .1}],
>   ColorFunction -> (Hue[2/3#] &),
>   MeshRange -> {{-2, 2}, {-2, 2}}]
>
> In Verrsion 3.x the inputs to the color function were scaled to make so that
> the minof the z-plot range became 0  and  the max of the z-plot range became
> 1.
> With Version 4.0 we can  use the option ColorFunctionScaling ->False to stop
> this scaling. This makes setting the colors easier.
>
> Allan
> ---------------------
> Allan Hayes
> Mathematica Training and Consulting
> Leicester UK
> www.haystack.demon.co.uk
> hay at haystack.demon.co.uk
> Voice: +44 (0)116 271 4198
> Fax: +44 (0)870 164 0565

Allan,

I agree with you when you use ListContourPlot to plot a n x n matrix of values.
The problem comes with a list of {x,y,z} points. I suppose the modified
ListContourPlot function from the ExtendGraphics`Contour package has a bug,
and I don't know how to get rid of it. Even with the ColorFunction option,
there is no color on the graphic. Can you reproduce the problem?
I am working with V3.01 on a Unix machine.

Laurence Lours
lours at bruyeres.cea.fr