How to use sign for symbolic operations?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg19513] How to use sign for symbolic operations?
- From: LD <doellinger at t-online.de>
- Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 15:53:28 -0400
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
I use Mathematica 3.0. My question is how to solve the following problem: I define a < 0 and b < 0 (to intend that the sign is negative in both cases). Now I like to know the sign of the produkt of a*b, it should be positive by the hand. But how can I express it within mathematica 3.0? In general: how can I get the sign of an expression in symbolic form? In 1: Sign[a*b] ? Out 1: > 0 or positive. Many thanks for your help. Lothar Dillinger EMail: doellinger at t-online.de