How to use sign[] for symbolic operations?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19513] How to use sign[] for symbolic operations?
  • From: LD <doellinger at t-online.de>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 15:53:28 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I use Mathematica 3.0. My question is how to solve the following
problem:
I define a < 0 and b < 0 (to intend that the sign is negative in both
cases). Now I like to
know the sign of the produkt of a*b, it should be positive by the hand.
But how can I express it
within mathematica 3.0? In general: how can I get the sign of an
expression in symbolic form?
In  1: Sign[a*b] ?
Out 1: > 0 or positive.

Many thanks for your help.