Mysterious - Running notebook produces no effect

That's not quite true, let me explain:

Running Mathematica 4.0 under WindowsNT 4

If I construct a notebook, FooBar.nb with the single cell:

FooBar[s_String] := StringReverse[s]

And then attempt to run it line-by-line from another notebook, I get:

In[1]:= FooBar["   abcd"]
Out[1]= FooBar["   abcd"]
In[2]:= ntNb = NotebookOpen["FooBar.nb", Visible -> False]
Out[2]= NotebookObject[\[LeftSkeleton]"FooBar.nb"\[RightSkeleton]]
In[3]:= SelectionMove[ntNb, All, Notebook]
In[4]:= SelectionEvaluate[ntNb]
In[6]:= NotebookClose[ntNb]
In[7]:= Clear[ntNb]
In[8]:= FooBar["   abcd"]
Out[8]= "dcba   "

So far so good.
Now if I reinitialize everything and simply tell the Kernel to evaluate
the second notebook, FooBar[] remains undefined!

What's Happening????
(it doesn't have anything to do with StringReverse[] - that was just a
restricted example)
--
Neal E. Tornberg
neal.e.tornberg at boeing.com