Manipulation of equations and inequalities in "high-school style"

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19516] Manipulation of equations and inequalities in "high-school style"
  • From: silvano at (Silvano D'Orazio)
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 15:53:29 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Does anybody know a Mathematica (3 or 4) package which allows
manipulaton of equations and inequalities like high-school students
are supposed to do?

For example

2x+a = x-b      subtract a
  2x = x-b-a    divide by 2, subtract x
   x = -b-a

 (2^x-1)^(1/2) = 5b                 log both sides
(1/2)(x-1)log2 = log5 + logb        multiply by 2, divide by log2

                 2(log5 + logb)     add 1

and so on.

I think I saw such a notebook or package some years ago, but I am not
able to find it any more.
I think I am not the only teacher who would find this very useful.
Thanks for all hints.

Silvano D'Orazio