Re: Simple edit ...
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg19548] Re: Simple edit ...
- From: "William M. MacDonald" <wm2 at umail.umd.edu>
- Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:52:32 -0400
- Organization: University of Maryland
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
In article <7pipjn$39t$1 at dragonfly.wolfram.com> , Alan Lewis <alanlewis at home.com> wrote: > FullForm shows why it doesn't work. A work around is > > z/.Sqrt[d+e]->L/.(1/Sqrt[d+e])->1/L > > > > "Michael L. Stokes" wrote: >> >> Consider the following examaple; >> >> z = (a+Sqrt[d+e])/(a Sqrt[d+e]) >> >> z //. Sqrt[d+e] ->L >> >> The replacement function only replaces the instance of Sqrt[d+e] in the >> numerator and leaves the instance in the denominator alone. Why does >> this not work and what is the work around? >> >> Regards, >> Mike > > > A simple solution is z/.d+e->L^2 //PowerExpand -- William M. MacDonald Professor of Physics University of Maryland Internet: wm2 at umail.umd.edu