Re: Databases and Java

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21228] Re: Databases and Java
  • From: Martin Kraus <Martin.Kraus at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 02:27:48 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

ERIC SPAHR wrote:

> I don't know if this is the proper forum for these questions but...I
> have gotten answers here that I haven't from the parent(?).
>         1) Any ideas how the reported project of direct Mathematica to
> databases is going?  (Most of my data is in DB2 and right now I am
> pulling it to files and importing into Mathematica v 4.  Obviously not a
> production solution.)
>         2) Even more off base: I heard that someone was working on a Java bean
> for connecting to Mathematica ...Any word on how that is progressing?

http://www.wolfram.com/solutions/mathlink/jlink/

might be what you are looking for.

> I'm sorry,
> but I refuse (see earlier postings) to try to decipher yet another
> protocol like MathLink.

I guess you can either use such a protocol or invent your own,
but for any serious communication with Mathematica you probably have to
establish
some kind of protocol. (And MathLink is not hard to use as far as
I have experienced.)

> I would like to see something that allows me to
> use Java to dynamically input both algorithms and data into the
> Mathematica kernel and return it to the Java application or applet.
>         Obviously question 1 and 2 are related, so...
>         3) If both are "working" which is faster?

Greetings

Martin Kraus