Programming the front end to save graphics files

    Since the kernel function Display[ ] can't save graphics in the
Windows bitmap format, I'm trying to program the front end to do it via
the Save Selection As... menu option.  I know that it's straightforward
to use Display[ ] to save the cells as PBM's and then convert these
files to BMPs using a suitable program, but using the front end
directly would be simpler and knowing how to program it seems like a
useful skill, so I'd like to get this working.
    So far I've found that the selecting a graphic and then executing
the command

                  FrontEndExecute[FrontEndToken[nb,
"SelectionSaveSpecial","MGF"]]

brings up the file Save As dialog box and then saves the graphics
correctly when the filename is typed in.  I'd eventually like to write
a function which looks like Display[ ], so I'd obviously like to avoid
the Save As dialog box - does anybody know if it's possible to include
a channel or filename directly in the expression above, or bypass the
dialog box in some other way?

thanks,
Malcolm