Mathematica as an Object

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15696] Mathematica as an Object
  • From: David Revelt <reveltd at leland.stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 14:54:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Greetings,

I have a function that I need to integrate over and over again.  The
quickest way to do it is to integrate the function symbolically, and
then plug in numbers for the parameters to evaluate it.  The solution
to the symbolic integral is complicated consisting of a polynomial of
over 100 terms.

Since I have a large data set, I am using Gauss to perform
Newton-Raphson maximization on this function.  I want to call
Mathematica from within Gauss for the integration/evaluation of the
function.

Is there a way that I can treat an external Mathematica function like an
object rather than a function?  By this I mean, I would like to call
Mathematica initially and have it integrate the function symbolically,
and then repeatedly call mathematica to evaluate the function without
re-integrating it every time.  The Mathematica session must continue to
store in memory the symbolic solution to the integral even when I am
performing operations in Gauss.  That is, the Mathematica process must
sleep waiting from me to message it again rather than exit like a
normal C function after each evaluation.

Thanks for your help.
David