no kernel?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15703] [mg15640] no kernel?
  • From: Eric Strobel <EStrobel at schafercorp.com>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 14:54:19 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Sounds as if the front end can't find the kernel.  Try to activate the
kernel
manually before opening the front end (to check in case a HD problem has
stomped your copy of the kernel).  If the kernel runs, but the front
end  still can't contact it, I'm stumped.

If the kernel runs and the front end CAN talk to it, then the problem is
in  how your system finds and starts the kernel when the front end
first needs  it.  Speaking of what I know, namely the Mac, the most
likely problem is that
you've either installed something or moved a bunch of files around and
the  Desktop database has gotten out of whack.  Rebuilding your desktop
should fix
the problem...  If you're on Windows, which I've occasionally been
coerced/ forced into using, I think the Registry file plays a similar
role and can  cause similar problems when it feels out of sorts.

- Eric.
REPLY FROM: STROBEL, ERIC
Microsoft Mail v3.0 (MAPI 1.0 Transport) IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note From:
Jeff D. Hamann