Re: Surfacecoloring of a sphere

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15785] Re: Surfacecoloring of a sphere
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 02:04:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Florian Stock wrote in message <79eb8g$9sk at smc.vnet.net>...
>Hello,
>
>for visualization of an Satellite, i want to color the surface of a
>sphere (for the colors I have a function color[long,att] with long and
>att in a  range from 0 to 2 Pi).
>How can i coloring the sphere?
>I've tried with SphericalPlot3D and the ColorFunction option, with
>ParametricPlot3D, but I didn't found a way to color it.

Using ParametricPlot3D we can "paint in" colors using a formula in the
parameters as an optional extra to the point coordinates - but we must
turn off the Lighting to see the colors.

ParametricPlot3D[
{ Sin[lat] Cos[long], Sin[lat] Sin[long],Cos[lat],
 Hue[(long+lat)/(2Pi)]},
  {long,0,2Pi},{lat,0,2Pi},
Lighting ->False]

Allan