Re: Working in Modules

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15954] Re: Working in Modules
  • From: juan antonio gonzalez castro <jagonzal at students.uiuc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 23:34:13 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

  The difference in your outputs is because while Module init includes
Partition[s,n] as last command, Module init1 doesn't.
  Partition[s,n] splits the list s into a list of n lists, i.e., it
partitions the set s of nxn elements into n lists with n elements each.
NOTE THAT IN init PARTITION IS DONE ON s, NOT ON THE TABLE THAT THE
TRANSFORMATION
 S /. {0->-1},
GENERATES, which is the table you get as output from init1.
  Now, if what you need is to partition the latter
you can rewrite your module as:

 init2[n_Integer]:=Module[
                     {s=Table[Random[Integer],{n n}]},
                     Partition[s/.{0->-1},n]

the output of init2 should be a list of n lists with n elements each,
in which zeros have been replaced by -1.
  I hope this solves your puzzle.

Juan A. Gonzalez-Castro,