  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16036] Early out with Map?
  • From: "Oscar Stiffelman" <ostiffel at leland.stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 02:52:15 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

Is it possible to interrupt Map before it reaches then end of the list?

For example, how would I convert the following from procedural to
functional?

(* This is the procedural version *)
foundSolution = False;
For[i =1, i <= numChildren && ! foundSolution, i++,
    If[testChild[children[[i]]],
        foundSolution = True;
      ];
];
foundSolution

(*
* This keeps going until it reaches the end of the list.
* I would prefer to return as soon as testChild returns True
*)
Or @@ Map[testChild, children]

(*
* This does not actually return
*)
Map[If[testChild[#], Return[True], False]&, children]