model boat hull design methods

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg16096] model boat hull design methods
  • From: Jay Gallivan <jay_gallivan at PaineWebber.COM>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:24:56 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Spring isn't so far away that I can't start thinking about doing
something I meant to do last year....

The background....

I'd like to build model sail boats with my two boys. Rather than buy
kits, I'd like to design a hull. What I have in mind is constructing the
hulls of layers of 1/4 inch marine plywood. The layers would be cut in
wishbone shapes (to make a hollow hull) with the top of the wishbones
being bow-end and the open ends being stern (to be capped later). Each
wishbone would need to be sized such that, when the stack is
constructed, vee-type hull cross section is had.

	Cross		Length

	-     -		--------------

The question....

Any ideas on curves I might use to generate these templates? I've done a
search at on 'boats' and had no hits. I've not seen any
other question quite like this on the list. Sorry, if I'm too far out of
band. Thanks.
Jay Gallivan      |41st Floor		|Voice: (312)683-6386
Technology Manager|181 W. Madison Street|Fax:   (312)683-6474
PaineWebber Inc.  |Chicago, IL 60602	|mailto:jgalliv at