Using "Fit"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16128] Using "Fit"
  • From: "Philip M. Howe" <pmhowe at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:23:02 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I'm trying to analyze some datasets in a moderately efficient way, and am
having trouble. Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Suppose that I have a dataset, and I want to fit a function through a
number of points, where I vary that number systematically, by taking just
two {x,y} points, then three points, then four, etc. So, if "data" is my
dataset, I can form new datasets by doing

Take[data,2], Take[data,3], etc. I can then do a fit to each dataset.

Fit[Take[data,2], {1,x},x];
Fit[Take[data,3], {1,x},x];
Fit[Take[data,4], {1,x},x]; etc.

But this is slow for large datasets. I can form a table of datasets.

Table[Take[data,n],{n,2,100}];

Now I'd like to apply Fit to each of the lists in the table, and I can't
figure out the syntax. Or, perhaps there is a better approach.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Phil