ParametricPlot with jumps

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16123] ParametricPlot with jumps
  • From: David Epstein <dbae at maths.warwick.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:23:00 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I want to do something similar to the following. I have a curve on a
cylinder. I want to cut the cylinder
along one of its generators and open it out to a flat strip (the inverse
process to how cans are made).

If I now use ParametricPlot to see what the curves look like on the flat
strip, there are jumps where the
curves cross the generator which has turned into a pair of edges of the
flat strip. The way
ParametricPlot treats this situation is to construct an artificial
interpolation between the two points
where the curve meets corresponding opposite edges of the strip. What I
want it to do is not to make
this interpolation.

One way to achieve this is to solve for when the curve cuts the edge of
the figure and then do separate plots between each of these intersection
points. Is this the easiest way, or is there some way of telling
ParametricPlot not to interpolate over huge distances?

David Epstein