Standard Midi File (SMF) parsing and creation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15325] Standard Midi File (SMF) parsing and creation
  • From: "D.O." <oberfeld at psych.gp.TU-Berlin.DE>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 04:15:15 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

 Hi,

 I'm doing psychological research on rhythm perception and performance.
 I use a commercial sequencer for playback and recording, so I'm
 currently looking for possibilities to
 parse Standard Midi Files (SMF) with Mathematica and to create them.

 *Parsing: I need a list of events (note number, length, velocity) and
 their millisecond-time

 *Generation: I want to add 'temporal noise' to sequences and
 continuously change the overall tempo of given sequences or create
 such rhythms 'from scratch' with Mathematica

 If anyone knows about algorithms for these or related tasks, please
 notify me!!

 Regards,

 Daniel Oberfeld