Re: setting X and Y range in 2D plots

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15364] Re: [mg15308] setting X and Y range in 2D plots
  • From: "Jorge Zickermann" <jzickermann at mail.EUnet.pt>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 23:58:21 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Drazen,

    As far as I know, the following applies to any type of plot of a 2D
function. Lets say you have a function defined...

y[x_]:=x^2

    You can plot the result for a defined range of x using the automatic
setup of axes by Mathematica.

graphic = Plot[y[x],{x,-10,10}]

    Then, at any time, you can show the defined plot for a PlotRange
(window) of your will...

Show[graphic,PlotRange->{{-5,5},{0,10}}]

    where the ranges of x and y, to be seen, are defined.

    If you copy the inputs above into a notebook, and evaluate them, you
will see that the definition of graphic gives a plot, which I suppose
you don't want to see. Unlike with common input cells for which a
following semicollon (;) hides the result, with Plot that doesn't
happen. If you only want to see a particular window at all times, then
you have to contract the inputs into the following form...

graphic = Plot[y[x],{x,-10,10},PlotRange->{{-5,5},{0,10}}]

    Notice that if you ask for a PlotRange wider than that obtained for
the variation of x, you won't get a complete plot. ie; If in the
PlotRange above you wanted to see a window {{-5,12},{0,10}} you would
have to make x vary up to 12, {x,-10,12}.

    Jorge