controlling format of numbers in plot labels

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15365] controlling format of numbers in plot labels
  • From: Richard Easther <easther at het.brown.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 23:58:22 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I am using Display to output plots as EPS files for inclusion into a
paper I am writing using LaTeX. The problem I am seeing is that when
the numbers that label the axes include exponents (eg 1 \times 10^-12),
the EPS file produced leads to an error when I run dvips, namely:

dvips: Font Math1Mono used in file diff1.eps is not in the mapping file.

However, in figures without exponents in their axes the EPS figures do
not generate this error message. The "\times" does not show up in the
postscript document, so presume it is the cause of the problem.
So can anyone tell me how to make the EPS use a more "generic" font to
display the "\times"?

Alternatively, a less general fix that would work in this case would be
to force LogListPlot (the actual function I am calling to produce the
plots) to use 10^-12 instead of 1 \times 10^-12 (for example) since,
for the plots I am making, all the prefactors are unity.

For my own purposes this is not a problem, but I can see this causing
difficulties with the journal and the Los Alamos archives when they try
to process the paper.

Thanks in advance,
Richard Easther