Re: Using Mathematica over Telnet

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15512] Re: [mg15488] Using Mathematica over Telnet
  • From: Jozef Skvarcek <jozef at fatra.ph.hunter.cuny.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:47:14 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Goeman-Shulsky wrote:

> Hi, I'm hoping that someone can help me out.  I have access to
> Mathematica via Telnet, but am not satisfied with the graphics
> translation.

Can you specify more "graphics translation"? Do you want to run
Mathematica notebook GUI locally or are you trying just to produce
graphics files?

I personally prefer to run Mathematica kernel from the shell (Linux)
since it allows me to put the job into background where it can go for
long time, also, it eats less resources. The graphs can be written into
files in PostScript format and then downloaded. For example:

fig = Plot[Sin[x],{x,0,Pi},DisplayFunction->Identity]
Display["fig.eps",fig1,"EPS"]

will put the plot into file "fig.eps" in Encapsulated PostScript.

It is possible to run GUI locally and the kernel remotely (at least in
Linux), however, it requires local copy of Mathematica and I guess you
don't have one.

Have fun,

Jozef Skvarcek
jskvarce at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu