Problems with Flat (Again)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15524] Problems with Flat (Again)
  • From: immtwg at brahe.gbar.dtu.dk (Torben Winther Graversen)
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:47:24 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I apologize for asking about this twice, but the newsserver here didn't
quite behave the first time I posted during fall '98. Anyway, here's my
question:

I want to have an operator, say p[], that has attribute Flat,
OneIdentity, and Orderless:

In[1] := SetAttributes[p, {OneIdentity, Flat, Orderless}]

I also want it to reduce expressions with only one argument to just the
argument:

In[2] := p[a_]=a;

However, if I now enter an expression like p[x,y], this happens:

In[3] := p[x, y]

$RecursionLimit::reclim: Recursion depth of 256 exceeded.

Out[3]= Hold[p[x, y]]

Looking at the Trace, it seems as though the pattern-matcher matches
p[a_] with p[p[x,y]] infinitely many times, since p is Flat.

The only way I've found around this problem is to set things up in the
opposite order:

In[1]:= p[a_]=a;

In[2]:= SetAttributes[p, {OneIdentity, Flat, Orderless}]

In[3]:= p[x, y]

Out[3]= p[x, y]

*** Question 1:
So my definition will only give the desired result if I enter the rule
before turning on the attribute?

I've noticed that Mathematica will let me have the same rule twice, with
different attributes:

In[4]:= p[a_]=a;

In[5]:= p[x, y]

$RecursionLimit::reclim: Recursion depth of 256 exceeded.

Out[5]= Hold[p[x, y]]

In[6]:= ?p
Global`p

Attributes[p] = {Flat, OneIdentity, Orderless}

p[a_] = a

p[a_] = a

If I now remove the attributes, the latest defined rule still applies:

In[6]:= Attributes[p]={};

In[7]:= p[x,y]

$RecursionLimit::reclim: Recursion depth of 256 exceeded.

Out[7]= Hold[p[x, y]]

*** Question 2:
So Mathematica doesn't select rules based on which attributes are
present, but only based on which attributes where present when the rule
was defined?

Where can I find more information on this subject?

Thank you for your help.

--
Best regards,

  Torben Winther Graversen