Encapsulated Postscript

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg18417] Encapsulated Postscript
  • From: "DIAMOND Mark R" <gabrielle at>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 00:11:12 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

General background
I am using Mathematica to produce some graphs which I
then export in EPS format using the Display function. However, what is
in the file (viewed using, say, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop or
is not what appears on the screen of my Windows 95 machine.

The problem is *illustrated* (I have tried to make the example as simple
as demonstrate the point)  by the following

    ImageSize->{3 72,3 72/GoldenRatio}

Three large discs (points) are visible in the display. The point at x=0 is
visible, the other two only partly visible ... explained, presumably by
to do with the bounding box. Furthermore, If the dimensions are changed so
that ImageSize->{5 72, 5 72/GoldenRatio}, then the x=0 point is also
truncated. Again, I presume that this is because the metric for the point
size is the width of the graph,
and the point extends past the left hand side of the labels on the y-axis.

Specific Problem
However, while I can guess at what is going on here, the curious thing is
when I view the graph, after exporting it with Display["dlpplot.eps", p,
"EPS"] ,
the x=0 point is chopped in half so that nothing to the left of x=0 is
This makes some sense in terms of the stated PlotRange, but why the
in what is visible in the notebook and in the exported file, and is there
any way
I can get the exported file to display what is in the notebook?

Mark Diamond
Spam avoiding email: markd at psy dot uwa dot edu dot au