Re: Wheel mouse under X.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18484] Re: Wheel mouse under X.
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 23:08:43 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7luhai$kc0 at smc.vnet.net>, Gadi Oron <oron at manet.pmmh.espci.fr> writes:

> I am trying to configure my Mathematica X (linux) frontend so it will scroll the
> notebook when I use the wheel in my wheel-mouse.
>
> I couldn't find any info about this either in the newsgroups or at WRI
> site.
>
> In fact, the only detail I need is the name of the X windows function used
> in Mathematica rontend to scroll the window up/down, it would be easy then to
> change the defaults in the
> /usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/SystemResources/X/XMathematica
> file.
>
> Does anybody (if one of the X Frontend in WRI reads this...) knows what
> is these functions names? Should be something like ScrollUp() or
> PageUp()...

I am not the developer of the X front end, but I have worked with it long
enough to be familiar with its arcana.

To do what you describe under most X applications, one would need to
find the event associated with the wheel on your mouse.  Then an override
resource setting mapping this event to a scrolling function would need
to be added to an X resource file such as XMathematica or .Xdefaults.

The Mathematica X front end, with version 3.0 and later, allows only a small
set of events to be altered this way.  They are listed in the XMathematica file.

*XmFENotebook.baseTranslations: \
#override \n\
<Btn1Down>,<Btn1Up>: selection-put() \n\
<Btn2Down>: selection-get() \n\
<KeyPress>osfPaste: paste-from-clipboard() \n\
<KeyPress>osfCopy: copy-to-clipboard()

There are no other events that can be mapped this way.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.