RE: Re: Re: easiest way to sort a list?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg18525] RE: [mg18428] Re: [mg18344] Re: [mg18308] easiest way to sort a list?
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:32:57 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I have a new approach to add to this long thread.

  Fold[ If[ FreeQ[#1,#2,1], Join[#1,h[#2]], #1]& ,h[],{args}]

I would like to see how the timings of different methods compare (version
above included).  I would do it, but I am working under Windows 98, and I
understand Microsoft made it impossible for Timing to give accurate results.

Ted Ersek

Hi Hartmut (and newsgroup),

Thanks for unraveling the linear nature of the Block[{i... function. Nice

Since this topic shows no sign of slowing down, I thought I would present a
couple refined versions of my two functions. First, an improvement of the
"linear" solution:

By including Sequence in the Block variables, Mathematica doesn't waste time
eliminating Sequences until after the Block is exited. This seems to be a
5-10% or so improvement in speed.

Secondly, an improvement of my O(n log n) solution:

  tmp=Union[tmp, SameTest->(#1[[1]]===#2[[1]]&)];

The key idea here is that Sort with the default ordering function is much
faster than Sort with a user supplied ordering function. So, RotateLeft
switches the order of the index and the element to allow Sort to be used
with its default ordering function. For lists with a large number of
distinct elements, this seems to improve the speed by a factor of 3.

Carl Woll
Dept of Physics
U of Washington