LaTex for publication

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18637] LaTex for publication
  • From: "William B. Marks" <bmarks at helix.nih.gov>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 01:01:46 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thank each of you for helping me get started.  I think Mathematica will eventually
be a WYSIWYG generator for LaTex suitable for a journal.  PJ Hinton wrote
me:

"We have designed a high degree of extensibility into the conversion rule
definitions of TeXSave[], which makes it possible to create customized
Mathematica style sheet notebooks that use cell styles based on the macros
used by the publishing house.  Then, when TeXSave[] does its work, the
.tex file should be compatible with the publisher's requirements.  Our
publications department is working on these, and hopefully you'll see the
fruition of their labors in the not-so-distant future."

But for now we have the issue that even if we get LaTex from Mathematica the styles
for the journal will not be utilized.  To me this seems a small issue: why
not omit the font specification when your send it to the journal.  The
lines may be the wrong length but so what?  The important things, symbols,
super-subscripts, and equation forms will have been specified.  But since
I'm just starting I will listen to your experience and write in Alpha and
check using OzTex.  Alpha, I assume, will accept my journal's style files.
I will insert equations coded by Mathematica or Expressionist.  If I have a problem
with their fonts in the equations there may be work around.  If not I will
gradually learn to do the whole thing in Alpha .

Bill Marks