Solving difficult integral

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18620] Solving difficult integral
  • From: "Christian Gudrian" <Christian.Gudrian at hermes.kawo1.rwth-aachen.de>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 01:01:38 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello!

I've got the following problem:

I need to solve the following integral:

Integrate[Sqrt[C0+C1*x+C2*x^2+C3*x^3+C4*x^4],{x,0,t}]

For those of you who do not recognize it at once: it's the integral of the
square root of a 4th degree polynomial in x. I've tried to solve the above
integral with Mathematica, but after, say, two hours of computing I stopped
the calculation - it looked like the Kernel crashed or whatever. Is there an
analytical solution to this problem at all?

Thanks for all help there is hopefully to come...

Christian