Limit of an Integer Function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18767] Limit of an Integer Function
  • From: Phil Mendelsohn <mend0070 at tc.umn.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 01:33:27 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I seem to have found a blind spot in my knowledge of how to get
Mathematica to evaluate limits.

I want to evaluate the limit of a function where the domain is a member
of the Natural numbers, such as infinite series.  It seems that Limit
assumes that the function is continuous.

For example, if I asked

Limit[Sin[ n Pi ],n-> Infinity], mathematica would return:
Interval[{-1,1}].  This is true if n is a member of the Reals, but not
true if n is a positive integer (in which case the limit would be 0.]

Is there another function I should use?  Or would it be nice to specify
the domain of the function as a feature request?

Phil Mendelsohn