Re: Calling Mathematica function from a C program

On 17 Jul 1999, aranisin wrote:

> I would like to call the Mathematica function 'CurveFit' from a C
> program. I want to pass to it an array of numbers and obtain the
> curve.
>
> (i) I am wondering whether it can be done and if so, how.

It can be done.

> (ii) Do I need to use MathLInk?

Using the MathLink API would be an appropriate use here.  Basically, your
C program is working as an alternative front end to the Mathematica
kernel. The MathLink Developer's kit that appears on the professional
version of Mathematica contains some sample C programs that demonstrate
this kind of connection.

> (iii) We have a license for MAthematica. Does the use of MAthlink
> require a separate license?

Depends on the type of license you have.  In general, as long as the
kernel is running in a manner in line with your license, it matters not
where your C program is running.  The only hurdle you have to overcome is
to provide a mechanism for remotely invoking the kernel (e.g. RSH
protocol).

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com