RE: ARghh!!

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg18791] RE: [mg18772] ARghh!!
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:19:17 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

O. Matt Umurhan wrote:

I am having the worst time dealing with a complex numbered expression.
The problem is this:  I have a numerical expression I wish mathematica
to evaluate, the expression happens to be complex.  So, I have it
do the evaluation and for output it gives me, for example,

Out[122]=       ((1+ 2 I) - (43 - 4 I))

when the ouput ought to read:

Out[123]=      -42 - 2 I

it leaves the output with these damned parenthesis in there and
I do not know, for the life of me, how get take this output and
remove these strange and pesky parens.

What is the FullForm of the expression giving you trouble.

Perhaps you previously made rules for
MakeBoxes[expr_,form_], or made some
definitions with the (Notation.m) package.
It's possible to make things work the way you describe if you did.

  Ted Ersek
  ersektr at