Re: ARghh!!

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg18838] Re: [mg18772] ARghh!!
  • From: "Tomas Garza" <tgarza at>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:19:46 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

O. Matt Umurhan [matt at] wrote:

> I am having the worst time dealing with a complex numbered expression.
> The problem is this:  I have a numerical expression I wish mathematica
> to evaluate, the expression happens to be complex.  So, I have it
> do the evaluation and for output it gives me, for example,
> Out[122]=       ((1+ 2 I) - (43 - 4 I))
> when the ouput ought to read:
> Out[123]=      -42 - 2 I
> it leaves the output with these damned parenthesis in there and
> I do not know, for the life of me, how get take this output and
> remove these strange and pesky parens.

What makes you think the output should read -42 - 2I when it is -42 + 6I?
Anyway, I don't see why the result doesn't get simplified automatically.
Have you tried Simplify, FullSimplify, etc.? Here's what I get (both in
Version 3 and Version 4):

((1 + 2  I) - (43 - 4  I))

-42 + 6 I

Perhaps you could give us the previous input line (In[121]) to see what's
going on.

Tomas Garza
Mexico City