- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg18797] Re: ARghh!!
- From: "David Bailey" <db at salford-software.com>
- Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:19:20 -0400
- Organization: University of Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
O. Matt Umurhan <matt at NOSPAM.kelvin.nas.nasa.gov> wrote in message news:7n12tn$bd7 at smc.vnet.net... > To Whomever Can Help Me: > > I am having the worst time dealing with a complex numbered expression. > The problem is this: I have a numerical expression I wish mathematica > to evaluate, the expression happens to be complex. So, I have it > do the evaluation and for output it gives me, for example, > > Out= ((1+ 2 I) - (43 - 4 I)) > > when the ouput ought to read: > > Out= -42 - 2 I > > it leaves the output with these damned parenthesis in there and > I do not know, for the life of me, how get take this output and > remove these strange and pesky parens. > > In fact the answer is -42+6I, which is what I get when I type your expression into Mathematica 4.0. Maybe there is something odd about your notebook. Perhaps you should post the contents of a small notebook which exhibits this fault. David Bailey Salford Software