Re: Eigensystems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18924] Re: Eigensystems
  • From: adam.smith at hillsdale.edu
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:17:26 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Perhaps I do not fully understand the question.  But assuming that
lambda is a scalar constant and both A and B are square n-by-n
matrices.  Then the following solves for the eigensystem

Eigensystem[ Inverse[B].A ]

returning the eigenvalues and associated eigenvectors.  Any
misunderstanding may lie in what you mean by "efficient".  Some quick
tests show that as long as A and B are assigned numeric values and not
simple symbolic letters, Mathematica returns a solution very rapidly.
However, if you what a complete symbolic answer things get very messy
and can take a considerable amount of time and require a great deal of
memory.  I solved a 2-by-2 system rather quickly, but the output answer
was very long.

Adam Smith

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/