Re: $UserDirectory

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg18927] Re: [mg18905] $UserDirectory
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:17:27 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

If you set your user account's home directory, Mathematica
will use it.  Otherwise, it will default to the root
directory of your system drive, which was a should
have defaulted to your "Program Files\Common Files" directory,
which now happens in version 4.  Note this info only applies
for Windows NT; Win95/8 always use the "Program Files\Common Files"

Under all Windows OS's, you can override Mathematica's
default preferences directory by using the environment

Mathematica will create a 'Mathematica\3.0' subdirectory in
the directory this environment variable designates.

John Fultz
jfultz at
Front End Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.