Early Results from Mathematica 4.0

Just got 4.0 today.  Running on a 450 MHz P2 under W98.

Observations:

    Interface is nice, but not a lot different.

    Graphics (2D and 3D) come up noticeably faster

    The bad news is that number crunching appears to be slower.  I have an
application in which I take a potential function which is a function of R
and theta and expand it in terms of Legendre polynomials.  To do this I do a
2D curve fit on the data and then use NIntegrate to get the Legendre
coefficients as a function of R.  Here is the timing for two different
applications.

Problem#   Matheamtica3    Mathematica4
1             156s             197s
2             944s            1044s