Re: Early Results from Mathematica 4.0

Hi,

I think the whole idea with Integrate[]/NIntegrate[] of an
interpolation function is wrong. Say you have K points x[i], f[i] and
you need an expansion in Legendre polynoms with maximum of degree K
you can simply create a linear system for the expansion
coefficients a[i]

y[r_]=Sum[a[i]*LegendereP[i,r],{i,0,K-1}]

by the interpolation condition y[x[i]]=f[i].
Mathematica's Fit[] will do a least square approximation
when a fewer degree of the expansion is needed.

Regards
  Jens