Re: Early Results from Mathematica 4.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18095] Re: Early Results from Mathematica 4.0
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:26:35 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I think the whole idea with Integrate[]/NIntegrate[] of an
interpolation function is wrong. Say you have K points x[i], f[i] and
you need an expansion in Legendre polynoms with maximum of degree K
you can simply create a linear system for the expansion
coefficients a[i]

y[r_]=Sum[a[i]*LegendereP[i,r],{i,0,K-1}]

by the interpolation condition y[x[i]]=f[i].
Mathematica's Fit[] will do a least square approximation
when a fewer degree of the expansion is needed.

Regards
  Jens