Re: Version 4.0 - Importing TIF files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18126] Re: Version 4.0 - Importing TIF files
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 00:51:35 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7ka4rt$il8 at smc.vnet.net>, LMGorski at webtv.net (Larry Gorski) writes:

> I am running Version 4.0 and I am trying to import TIF files.  As a
> test, I created a TIF file by converting an existing graphic file.  I
> was successful in importing the TIF file.  I then tried to import a TIF
> file created by another process.  The process is as follows:  I take a
> stellar spectra using a CCD camera, and convert the image file from its
> proprietary format to a TIF format by using the software package MIRA.
> MIRA is an astronomical image processing program.  I cannot import the
> TIF fie created in this fashion.  I get an error message that reads
> "Incorrect  TIF format"  What constitutes a correct TIF format from an
> incorrect TIF format?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The Import[] function in Mathematica 4 is capable of reading TIFFs that
conform to Adobe's specification for TIFF revision 6.  A complete
specification of the format can be obtained from Adobe's Developer
Site.

http://partners.adobe.com/supportservice/devrelations/PDFS/TN/TIFF6.pdf

This specification is in Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format.  You will
need to have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader available to read the document.

Import[] works by using an external MathLink program to translate the TIFF
into a generic raster.  The external program is based on the Leffler/SGI
TIFF libraries, which provide an API for reading and writing TIFF revision
6 files.

The TIFF specification allows for vendor extensions and tags that may not
necessarily be implemented by the libraries.  Chances are your image processing
program may be doing something along these lines.

To verify whether this is the case, you can contact Technical Support and
provide them with a copy of the offending TIFF file.  It will be forwarded
to our development group for assessment.

Information on contacting Wolfram Research Technical Support can be found
here:

http://www.wolfram.com/services/techsupport/contact.html

--
P.J. Hinton