- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg18141] ValueBox ?
- From: hanson.nospam at physics.auburn.edu (James D Hanson)
- Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 00:51:43 -0400
- Organization: Auburn University Physics
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
In a recent message, P.J. Hinton wrote > To see if you are using such a version, paste the following > expression into a notebook and click "Yes" when the front end asks > you whether it should attempt to interpret it. > Cell[TextData[ValueBox["$FullVersion"]], "Text"] I am curious about just what is happening here. When I do as I'm told, Mathematica shows Mathematica 126.96.36.199.x in a cell. When I type $FullVersion in a cell, Mathematica replies In:= $FullVersion Out= $FullVersion Yet if I try Cell[TextData[ValueBox["$Version"]], "Text"] Mathematica shows Macintosh 3.0 but In:= $Version Out= "Power Macintosh 3.0 (May 6, 1997)" What does ValueBox do? Where does it get its information about $Version and $FullVersion? -- James D. Hanson ph. (334) 844-5044 Department of Physics fax (334) 844-4613 206 Allison Laboratory Auburn University, AL 36849-5311 hanson.nospam at physics.auburn.edu