Re: Equality of integrals

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18165] Re: [mg18145] Equality of integrals
  • From: "Andrzej Kozlowski" <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 23:54:28 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To the moderator:

Dear Steve
The reply I just posted to the message below contained a silly mistake.
Could you please replace it by the one below? Thanks.

The integrals are equal in comlete generality (well, that is assuming that
they are defined, of course. If they are not defined it is hard to talk of
them being equal).  The problem is that Mathematica does not see any
transformations that it can apply to such general integrals. You have to
help it yourself.

The easiest way is to give the indefinite integral of f a name g. This g
must exist if I1 and I2 are going to be defined at all!

In[5]:=
f=g';

and then

In[4]:=
I1-I2//Simplify
Out[4]=
0

If you only want to prove that the integrals are equal there is also another
way:

In[3]:=
D[I1-I2,q]

Out[3]=
0

This shows that when considered as functions of q I1 and I2 differ by a
constant. Now you only need to evaluate them at a q=0 (say) :

In[4]:=
(I1-I2)/.q->0
Out[4]=
0