Re: Mathematica 4.0 improvements?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18330] Re: Mathematica 4.0 improvements?
  • From: tburton at brahea.com (Tom Burton)
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 15:11:21 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 25 Jun 1999 22:28:12 -0400, in comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica you
wrote:

>Dear Co-Mathematica Users
>
>Some of You certainly already use version 4.
>I am interested, whether the graphics export
>problems are fixed...

I can comment only on htm export. Much improved! I have effortlessly
exported small sections of notebooks. All links were managed correctly.
Closed groups of cells were automatically linked into the index page,
which comprises that part of the section that is "open".

Twice I have tried to export an entire notebook. Both notebooks are
rather large. I didn't really intend to post to my web site; I was
playing. Both times, the kernel bonked.

While I have the floor:

+ Autointenting in StandardForm is much better
+ Bracket matching is faster and easier
+ Flashing blob locates a relocated cursor effectively during editing
+ Drag-and-drop now works (Windows NT)
+ The speed of ListConvolve and ListCorrelate is appreciated
+ ALL, improved Take, and related new features are worthwhile
+++ Save now appears to check syntax before writing. If this avoids the
writing of corrupted notebooks, then three cheers!
+ Impressive speed of repeated NDSolve's. I solved a coupled set of 3
ODE's (very simple ones, but still...) 1200 times (each with different
coefficients), yielding 1200 interpolation functions, in only 26
seconds. (Pentium II 400 Mhz)
+ Reliability (Windows NT): One kernel session is more than 10 days old.
(I start a second local kernel for other, shorter jobs). No problems.

- ClosedCellHeight->0 no longer completely hides closed cells
  (Some people disliked the former behavior. Subjective issue.)
- Small bug in Compile, requiring more initialization of variables
- My largest application (15 large notebooks) doesn't work; I estimate
several hours effort to run down the small problems. Waiting for my
client to pay me to do this. Meanwhile, must continue with version 3. No
big deal. Compatibility 3<->4<->3 appears to be good.

0 "Selection's Style" choice has disappeared from the Options Inspector.
  I suppose that's to force me to use the Style Sheet. OK.
Tom Burton