Re: writing mathematica data to a tab delimited file??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18350] Re: [mg18337] writing mathematica data to a tab delimited file??
  • From: "Kazumi Hitomi" <hitomi at criepi.denken.or.jp>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:13:21 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello, Mike.

I also wrote matrices as comma delimited text files frequently. Although I
believe
my method is not efficient and there may be good one,  I have used following
procedure.

(1) step 1 -  saving matrix as a text file
mylist=Table[{1,x}, {x,1,10}];

Do[
 Do[
    {
      mylist[[i,j]]=FortranForm[mylist[[i,j]];
    (*   this conversion is required for reading data   *)
    (*   from other software, such as Excel.              *)
    },{j,1,2}
 ],{i,1,10}
];

outfile=OpenWrite["---fileName---", PageWidth->300];
Write[outfile,mylist];
close[outfile];

Note: PageWidth must be adusted depending on record length
         ( or # of columns in the matrix.)

(2) step2 - reading output file using Excel
Each cell in the output file is delimited by comma and the file
contains brackets ("{" and "}") , which are used to specify
vector or matrix in Mathematica. After reading the file using
Excel, I always remove the brackets employing replace
command in order to use the data as numerics.

This is my method to save matrix as a text file.

Does anybody know more efficient one, please tell it
to Mike and ME.

Best regards,

Kazumi Hitomi