Re: writing mathematica data to a tab delimited file??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18339] Re: writing mathematica data to a tab delimited file??
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:13:15 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7l5t26$il6 at smc.vnet.net>, Mike <mike.honeychurch at chemistry.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

> I frequently read data into mathematica that has been given to me as a
> two column tab delimited text file.  Is their some way of saving a
> mathematica list eg.
>
> mylist=Table[{1, x}, {x, 1, 10, 1}]
>
> as a file in a tab delimited two column format
>
> 1	1
> 1	2
> 1	3
> 1	4
>
> etc.
>
> to be read by other people in eg. excel or sigma plot?

In Mathematica 4:

	Export["filename.dat", mylist]

If you do not wish to use the .dat extension, you can use:

	Export["filename", mylist, "Table"]

In[1]:= mylist=Table[{1, x}, {x, 1, 10, 1}]

Out[1]= {{1, 1}, {1, 2}, {1, 3}, {1, 4}, {1, 5}, {1, 6}, {1, 7}, {1, 8},

>    {1, 9}, {1, 10}}

In[2]:= Export["filename.dat", mylist]

Out[2]= filename.dat

In[3]:= !! filename.dat
1   1
1   2
1   3
1   4
1   5
1   6
1   7
1   8
1   9
1   10

For earlier releases, you can define a function like WriteMatrix[]
as shown in this FAQ page.

http://support.wolfram.com/Kernel/Files/WriteMatrix.html

--
P.J. Hinton