Subscripted Variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16364] Subscripted Variables
  • From: "Mitchell Kaplan" <qmak at pipeline.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 02:16:40 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'd like to use subscripts to make my notation more readable.  I'm running
Windows98 and used the template to add a subscript to a variable -- such as
"x" with a subscript of "c".

Everything works fine until I try to clear the values.  Normally I use the
following statement to clear my values:
Clear["Global`*"].  This doesn't seem to work on my subscripted variables.

I then tried using them as local variables in a Block -- it didn't seem to
recognize them as valid symbols.  Once I assign one of them, I can reset it
by setting it equal to "." .  However, if I have a statement which sets all
of them to "." I get error messages regarding ones that haven't yet been
used.

This is more of an inconvenience than a crisis, but I would really
appreciate any help anyone could offer.

Thanks,

Mitchell