HELP: specifying range for a variable?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17336] HELP: specifying range for a variable?
  • From: iaz at cs.umd.edu (Ilya Zavorine)
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 23:22:47 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

How do I tell Mathematica that a variable that I define
should be real? Suppose I write something like

	c[a_,b_] = a+b*I;

I want Mathematica to treat a and b as purely real
numbers so that, for instance, if I do

	Im[c[a,b]]

I will get b as the answer. However, I haven't found any
way of limiting the range of a variable.

Thanks for any help,

Ilya